Many of the scripture from the sermon come out of what we call our “Heart Attitudes” and “Values.” These attitudes and values are at the core of who we are at River Community Church. We believe that together, we can learn to live these attitudes and values out in real and practical way, in the context of group life. All the while remembering, the goal is not perfection, but direction.
Reflect on these Attitudes and Values. Think of ways you’ve seen them lived out in your own life and the lives of others.
NOTE: there are a lot of scriptures, so look them over ahead of time. Take a day and just read over them. More than likely you will not have time in your group to cover all them, so just pick a few to discuss. You know your group, so pick ones that will relate to them.
Seven Heart Attitudes:
- Participate in the Ministry: 1 Peter 4:10-11; 1 Cor. 12:12-27
- Demonstrate an Open and Honest Life: Eph. 4:25; Prov. 12:19
- Maintain Clear Relationships: Matt. 5:23-24
- Put the Success of Others Above You Own: Phil. 2:3-4; John 13:14-15
- Submit to Leadership within Scriptural Limits: 1 Thess. 5:12-13; Heb. 13:17
- Support the work Financially: 2 Cor. 9:6-8; 1 Tim. 5:17-18
- Give and Receive Spiritual Correction: Matt. 18:15; Heb. 3:12-13; Heb. 10: 24-25; Eph. 4:15
What we Value:
- Faithfulness: Luke 16:10; 1 Cor. 4:2
- Single Story Living: Col. 3:17
- Becoming Like Jesus: 2 Cor. 3:18
- Life in Community: Heb. 10:25
- People: Romans 13:8; 2 Cor. 5:14
Share with the group how you’ve seen the Heart Attitudes and our values lived out in community in their lives.
What impact has it had on you? Note: You can share how it has impacted you personally, or you could allow them to share how it’s affected them.
When you first plugged into group life, how was it different from what you were expecting?
How has being a part of a small group helped you to live a single-story life? How has it impacted your life? How has it encouraged you in your walk with Christ?
We talk about small group being a place where you can “be known” beyond a surface level. How has that been true for you, and what does it look like?
What if, as you reflect on these questions, you can’t really identify anything in particular? How does that make you feel? Is there something you can put your finger on that you’ve done or not done that contributed to a lack of change?
Is there something you can do right now (Think in terms the Heart Attitudes and values) to change going forward? What would that look like for you?
Note: Remember, you don’t have to use every question, tailor it to fit your group’s need.
Close your Group in prayer. Thank God for all he’s done in your life. Reaffirm you commitment to walk with Him; to know Him, and make His love known to others.