DISCUSSION GUIDE 9.4.2022
Group Discussion Questions:
As you reflect on the sermon this week, how did the Holy Spirit speak to your heart? Was there a verse/passage that jumped out to you? Share why the verse or passage struck you.
Note: Chapter 11 is known as the Hall of Faith chapter. Hebrews defines faith here in line with what we see in the life experiences of those who had trusted God in days past. Their faith showed up in their faithfulness. Faith was their act of commitment; hope was their perspective—beliefs shaping values, shaping behavior.
The general theme here is that faith in the unseen reality of God shows up in real people’s real behaviors in real life. We can nurture our confidence (our faith) by remembering and looking back at the real-life results of those who have gone before us.
Read and reflect on Chapter 11 (Have someone read the chapter aloud while the rest of the group listens.)
- The people we read of in Hebrews 11 were not trying to “get in” the hall of faith. They were, in imperfect fashion, expressing their faith in small or big acts of faithfulness. Think of your life now and complete this thought: By faith place your name here was faithful how?
- Describe your life now because of your faith. How has your faith made a difference? How different would it be if you did not live by faith?
- By faith…how are you being faithful? And how could your faithfulness reveal faith in God’s faithfulness?
- By faith…how are you turning your focus from the temporary in order to fix your heart and mind on the eternal?
- By faith…how do you live with a time horizon that stretches way, way beyond this current temptation or trial or trouble, or perspective?
“By faith” is not some grandiose promise, or some claim of invincibility…it is a decision to be faithful…empowered by God’s faithfulness. Reflex on the following confessions and share your thoughts with the group
- By Faith I will love my wife/husband and children and put their interests ahead of my own
- -By faith, I will be faithful to my friends, my group, my church
- -By faith, I will obey you. When I know what you want…I will do it
- -By faith, I will turn from the sin patterns that do not satisfy.