DISCUSSION GUIDE 10.31.21
Group Discussion Questions:
- As you reflect on the sermon this week, how did the Holy Spirit speak to your heart? Was there a verse/passage that jumped out to you? Share why the verse or passage struck you.
- Aaron spent some time talking about the differences between Christlike humility and cultures love of self and desire for autonomy. Take some time to discuss the two approaches. Which approach really “triumphs”? Why?
Read and discuss verses 2:1-11
This is a condensed version of the entire gospel. Paul uses the example of Christ to demonstrate how we are to live out the gospel: in sacrificial love and service to others.
- What are the implications for your own life?
- In what way is this example countercultural?
- In what ways do you feel the pull toward “autonomy” in your life?
- Is walking in Christlike humility a struggle for you? Why?
- Paul calls us to live like Christ. Our ability to live this way is a matter of living plugged into the Spirit’s power. What keeps you from plugging in? Are you more inclined to follow culture’s pull to live a life pursuing self?
- Paul says, “to live is Christ.” And that includes living like him in sacrificial love and service. What is one thing you could do to serve and bless others? What would it take for you to embrace this kind of life even when it’s hard?
Application: What do I need God to do in me or through me as a result of today’s discussion?
Ministry Partners Updates: HOKSBA
The Heart of Kansas Southern Baptist Association (HOKSBA) is made up of over 50 churches in the greater Wichita area who are joined by a vision for greater gospel impact in this area of Kansas. Together they believe that New Testament churches impact people with the Gospel best when they work together. HOKSBA leads and assists participating churches to fulfill the Great Commission to “go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:16-20) by planting and cultivating healthy churches. Both West Ridge and Orchard were part of HOKSBA’s church plants!