The woman Folly is loud; she is undisciplined and without knowledge. She sits at the door of her house, on a seat at the highest point of the city, calling out to those who pass by, who go straight on their way. “Let all who are simple come in here!” she says to those who lack judgment. 9:13
“Stolen water is sweet; food eaten in secret is delicious!” But little do they know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of the grave. 9:17-18
“The woman Folly is loud; she is undisciplined and without knowledge.” 9:13
The woman Folly is loud…She sits at the door of her house, on a seat at the highest point of the city.
“Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding raise her voice?” 8:1
“I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.” 8:17
“I was appointed from eternity, from the beginning, before the world began.” 9:23
Wisdom has built her house…she calls from the highest point of the city.
Q1. Terry said that it is not difficult to enter into a relationship with wisdom or folly. What makes this statement true? Give some examples.
Q2. Wisdom and folly have both shown us their resumes…both are open and honest about what they offer. How would you describe the differences?
Q3. “How does this poetic picture of marriage to wisdom vs folly…or the picture of walking a path of wisdom vs folly…actually play out in real life?”
Important realities to remember/hold on to:
- Our choices matter. It remains for us to choose and to keep on choosing what we want to give our lives to.
- Our wisdom walk is about direction not perfection. When we mess up, we fess up and we move on…our is a good path in a fixed direction…it is not a marriage of perfection.
- Worship is the practical application of Wisdom.
- All of us have a throne in our hearts. We are all like little mini-kingdoms. Whoever or whatever is on that throne rules our kingdom, it’s at the center is the true King or Queen of our kingdoms.
Q4. Proverbs 4:23 says…“Above all else, guard your hearts, it is the wellspring (source) of your life.” Why is this so important? What are ways we can guard our heart? How can we help one another?
Exercise: What has happened in the past few months is a massive, world-wide exposure of the impotence of our idols. Below are some that we cannot allow to sit on the throne.
- Health cannot be our king
- Money cannot be our king
- Freedom to move and do what we want cannot be king
- Government cannot be king
- Security cannot be king
- Life itself cannot be king
What idols has this revealed in your life?
What does it look like to truly make Christ your king now?
This is always wisdom’s best question…it is always the question of the day…or hour.
Who will you worship at the core of your being…who or what sits on the throne, sits in command?